Lanez, 28, filed a request in January to be able to speak publicly about the shooting that took place in July, for which he has pleaded not guilty to one felony count each of assault with a semiautomatic firearm and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle.
Lanez’s attorney, Shawn Holley, argued at the Superior Court of California in Los Angeles Thursday that the protective order barring him from talking was “unfair” since it does not also apply to Megan.
Rapper Megan, 25, has been publicly speaking out against Lanez, including making comments in January appearing to slam him after inaccurate reports surfaced online saying his charges had been dropped.
“Bitch you shot me AND MY STORY NOT CHANGING AND BITCH YOU GOING TO JAIL,” she tweeted.
Megan also previously called out Lanez over the summer, nearly a month after the alleged shooting incident took place.
“Yes, this n—a Tory shot me,” she alleged on Instagram Live. “You shot me, and you got your publicist and your people going to these blogs lyin’ and s–t. Stop lyin’. Why lie?”
Prior to the protective order, Lanez, whose real name is Daystar Peterson, maintained his innocence on social media and in his music.
He said in an Instagram rant in October, “She knows what happened, I know what happened, and we know that what you’re saying and [that] the alleged things and the alleged accusations of my name is [sic] are not true.”
“I think in a perfect world, no one would be able to say anything,” Holley told the judge on Thursday. “My goal is to be fair.”
The defense attorney then also accused Megan’s attorney, Alex Spiro, of making public remarks about the case, saying, “I don’t know how I can sit idly by when the complaining witness and her lawyer speak to the media.”
Spiro previously told Page Six after Lanez’s request to speak out was filed, “Did the motion fail to mention that there was gunshot residue on his hands or that he texted her ‘Sorry?’ I haven’t had a chance to read it.”
The judge ultimately determined that Lanez’s protective order should remain in place and that Megan still does not have an order that silences her.
“We have two high-profile celebrities named as the defendant and the alleged victim in this case,” the judge said, pointing out that “the last thing I think anyone wants” is for social media to become part of the evidence in the case.
At the hearing, Holley also alleged that one of the witnesses in the case has been “intimidated by the complaining witness,” which would be Megan. However, the judge said those are “new issues” and dismissed speaking about those allegations further.
Spiro was also present at the hearing, but did not speak before the judge.
Holley exclusively told Page Six after the hearing, “We are simply seeking a fair proceeding, which is difficult when Ms. Peterson and her lawyer are able to speak about the evidence in the case, yet we are unable to refute their public statements because of the protective order.”