A defense attorney for one of the men accused of kidnapping and robbing rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine said Friday that he believes that rainbow-tressed entertainer orchestrated the scheme himself to build publicity ahead of an album drop.
“No robbery or kidnapping or assault happened,” said Devereaux Cannick, the defense attorney for alleged rapper-snatcher Anthony Ellison. “He was about to drop another album…gotta get that buzz up. That’s how he makes money.”
The comments came after Manhattan federal court judge Paul Engelmeyer moved the trial for Ellison, who’s pleaded not guilty, and his alleged accomplice and fellow Nine Trey Gangsta Blood Aljermiah Mack back to Sept. 16.
Tekashi, whose real name is Daniel Hernandez, is expected to testify against the two men as government cooperator following his guilty plea earlier this year to federal racketeering charges. Prosecutors have said they intend to introduce his music videos as evidence at trial.
Cannick also claimed Friday that the car used to kidnap the “GUMMO” crooner in July 2018 had been inexplicably wired by the government ahead of time — meaning the whole encounter was recorded.
“We believe that’s going to be very useful to us,” the attorney said, smiling.
He added that the inked rapper’s own Instagram account appears to show him unscathed in the days after the charged attack.
In a video posted July 24, 2018, Tekashi says he’s going to donate a percentage of profits from his latest album, “FEFE,” to charity. The footage then shows him handing out cash to screaming children in a playground.
Ellison and Mack both face up to life behind bars if convicted.