WORLDWRAPFEDERATION.COM

IN THE STREETS & ON THE WEB

Beyoncé Wants "Formation" Copyright Infringement Lawsuit Dismissed

Beyoncé says a copyright infringement lawsuit over her hit anthem "Formation" doesn't hold up.

The singer filed paperwork Friday asking a federal judge in Louisiana to dismiss the $20 million suit for failure to state a claim.

She argued her team followed the rules when it sampled the voice and lyrics of murdered New Orleans rapper Messy Mya — whose real name was Anthony Barré — in the single she debuted at the 2016 Super Bowl.

The "Lemonade" star said her camp licensed the YouTube videos from Mr. Barré's family before Barré's sister "had herself appointed as the administrator of the estate of Anthony Barré," according to her filing.

"Even in the absence of a license, however, the use of 10 or fewer seconds of audio from the YouTube videos is protected by the fair-use doctrine," Beyoncé's filing states.

The paperwork argues Beyoncé then "transformed" the raw material "in the creation of new information, new aesthetics, new insights and understandings… (the) very type of activity that the fair-use doctrine intends to protect for the enrichment of society."

The estate's original lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court earlier this year, claims Beyoncé lifted Barré's voice and words from his protected works "A 27 Piece Huh?" and "Booking the Hoes from New Wildings."

"They are the defining introduction of the song 'Formation' and the seed from which the entire song grows," the complaint said.

"There should be no doubt that Anthony Barré's unique, gravelly voice, cadence and words were sampled by defendants," the lawsuit argues.

Barré was described in the filing as a highly recognizable New Orleans artist, DJ and YouTube star.

"He was very famous for the line, 'Follow me camera,' as he traversed the City of New Orleans and traveled deeply into the gay, lesbian and transgender communities," the lawsuit stated.

Barré was a mainstay of the bounce music phenomenon — an energetic form of New Orleans hip hop.

While Beyoncé and her publishing partners "have received many accolades and substantial profits from 'Formation' and the 'Lemonade' album and video… Mr. Barré's estate has received nothing — no acknowledgment, no credit, no remuneration of any kind," the lawsuit claimed.

The estate asked for damages topping $20 million.

Barré was only 22 when he was gunned down in November 2010 as he reportedly left a baby shower.

SOURCE

Views: 21

Comment

You need to be a member of WORLDWRAPFEDERATION.COM to add comments!

Join WORLDWRAPFEDERATION.COM

Featured WWF Buttercup StrawberrySiSi

Click Here

Contact: r5420records@yahoo.com
To Be Featured

Return To Home Page

Subscribe

© 2017   Created by WORLD WRAP FEDERATION.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Subscribe